Monday, October 5, 2009

RMRF#36: SUMMER IS REALLY OVER BUT WE CAN STILL FIND SOME ZUCCHINI, TOMATOES AND CORN

And I have been completely consumed by work, PTA, school. I have been cooking, but not as much experimenting. I do have a few good recipes to share for those last summer veggies and berries. And a success to share regarding Audrey the “Air Plant” (stolen from my friend Jay, very apt, I thought).

For James’ birthday, we shared a meal with friends – he grilled (Happy Birthday to him) some fantastic thick pork chops covered in his secret rub recipe, he made JAMES’ GRILLED GAZPACHO and I made a ZUCCHINI, CORN AND CHILE side (the kids ate corn on the cob, not this) and a simple but very yummy salad of arugula, toasted almonds and CILANTRO-LIME DRESSING. Our friends brought the yummy birthday cake. I know, a lot of cooking for James on his birthday, but that’s how he likes it.

And Audrey has been reading PRETEND SOUP (one of Molly Katzen's cookbooks for kids) and decided she really wanted to make HIDE AND SEEK MUFFINS, which she did on a Sunday morning. She was so proud and we all loved them. Yes, the berries are rolled in sugar, but for her, a step in a useful direction.

Finally, we had fun making PESTO CALZONES one night – I see what we’ve got for fillings, use the PESTO that’s always in the freezer, make the dough at lunchtime, sauté the fillings as needed and assemble – a pretty quick weeknight meal. FRESH TOMATO, SAUSAGE AND BASIL PASTA was another simple meal in the same vein that Morgan and I loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment