Thursday, August 13, 2009

RMRF #33 MORE TO DO WITH TOMATOES AND ZUCCHINI, AND, AUDREY’S ON A SUGAR CLEAN-OUT

I admit right now to being a bit of a hypocrite, but something another mom said really struck me about how having her child take responsibility for eating well just wasn’t working out. So, Audrey and I talked about it a few times -- then I just made the executive decision that she needed a break from sugar. I said it would start as a week with no sugary treats (she could still have fruit and fruit smoothies, etc.), and we’ve talked now about how it won’t end until she starts taking care of her body better. This could be all wrong and I could just be setting up a battle of wills (or rather, a NEW battle of wills) but I have to say, I loved hearing her say, “No, thank you,” when she was offered candy the other night. I don’t think I’ve ever heard that from her, even when she didn’t LIKE the candy. I’m a hypocrite because I still made -- and ate -- brownies this week, but, hey, I can eat just one or two. At a time.

Meanwhile, I am again showing my cooking limitations with the recipes – I admit that I am just not drawn to eastern flavors. My taste runs squarely in the Mediterranean and Southern comfort food camps. But the summer produce and the heat seem to work so well with the herbs and light cheeses and olive oils and vinegars of Mediterranean cooking. And ya gotta do something with all the tomatoes and zucchini and basil out there in your garden (or your neighbor’s if you’re lucky). There’s a big long list of recipes a 'comin. Hopefully one or two will seduce you. And even though Audrey really only ate the pasta, she ate least got the taste of the FRESH TOMATO SAUCE that went along with it. Some day she won’t spit out the basil, I know it.

While I am waiting for that momentous moment, I will do my best to not “make a big deal out of the refusals and don’t take them personally” as FEEDING YOUR CHILD FOR LIFELONG HEALTH recommends. I will try to do my best. I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment