Thursday, August 6, 2009

RMRF #32 ITS SUMMER AND TOO HOT TO COOK AND MY KID IS A SUGAR FIEND

I really have nothing more to say. I tried to cook inside one night, sweating over homemade mac & cheese (which was terrible AND heated up the kitchen) as well as a disaster of a dish with my new favorite Pink-Eye Peas. Those I did resurrect in a burrito tonight, though I think the mac & cheese is going in the trash, not to be revisited until winter.

Summer is traditionally (and now fashionably) a time of canning all these beautiful summer fruits and tomatoes. But I just can’t face all that steam. I do recommend two good ways of saving summer: get a basil plant and when it gets full, clip it back and make lots of PESTO with the leaves. Use some and freeze the rest so you can have “green pasta” in the winter. Then, if you like green beans, grow 'em, or by 'em cheap now. Blanch them and store them in freezer bags til later. Very easy, and green beans are so much better fresh and small.

Meanwhile, try some more of these summery Mediterranean-ey salads and bake some cookies if you can stand it.

I’m not even getting into the sugar fiend business, but I did threaten Audrey with imminent daily insulin shots if she didn’t slow down. And yes, I know, this seems to conflict with the cookie baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment