Wednesday, August 26, 2009

OATMEAL PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES

Based on a Gourmet March 1996 recipe, I reduced the sugar, did my usual flour sub and didn’t use as much chocolate. These are very satisfying, nicely crun-chewy and a nice variation on regular old chocolate chip. I think they would be good with raisins, too, but my kids hate dried fruit.

1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
¾ cup peanut butter (ish – hard to measure so I guessed)
2 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate chunks (or whatever)

In a food processor pulse 1 cup of the oats until ground pretty fine (this seems like a pain, but reading reviews and then doing it myself, I think it does make a difference in texture). In a large bowl, stir together all oats, flours, baking powder and soda, and salt.

Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, then mix in peanut butter and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chunks. You are supposed to chill for 2 hours at this point, but I made one batch pre- and one post-chill (because I had impatient play date children) and I could not tell a difference.

Plop onto an ungreased cookie sheet (I love my cookie dough scooper now) and bake for 12 – 15 minutes (depending on how crunchy you want them) at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment