Thursday, May 21, 2009

AND MORE WAYS TO USE HERBS

Again, this is from my new favorite friend, RECIPES FROM AMERICA’S SMALL FARMS (or RFASM). They have several pages on herbs – but here are a few ideas that I personally have tried – besides BASIL PESTO, above.

HOMEMADE HERB CROUTONS
Cube day old French, sourdough or wheat bread – preferably bread with a springy texture. Spread cubes out out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and fresh or dried chopped herbs of choice – rosemary is particularly good, as are thyme and oregano.

DRY YOUR OWN HERBS
I’ve got some hanging in my window now (with some spring garlic) but it didn’t occur to me to put them in jars. I’ve been saving glass herbs jars for some future project, so I am glad to have a use for them.

RFASM says to tie fresh herbs in bundles and hang them upside down in a dry spot, away from dust, cooking fumes, and extreme cold. When they are dry, just crumble and put in a glass jar with a tight lid. As RFASM suggests, home-dried herbs ARE more flavorful than store-bought (unless you put them in the back of your pantry for 2 years or drive them in a truck across country before using them ☺.

No comments:

Post a Comment